Subject: Re: Russian 28mm Orion LTM- black or silver?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 14:38:05 -0400

At 02:18 PM 6/15/97 -0400, Evan wrote:
>Sorry to paraphrase you in content, but I possess a chrome 20mm RussarF5.6 in
>addition to the black finish Russat that I told you that  bought in UK.  I
>have seen several (about four in total!) of the chrome finish Russars.  Two
>in Uk, of which one I bought, and the other at a camera dealer in New York.
> I believe that the owner is Russian and that he has a pipeline of optics and
>cameras coming in from the former USSR and its various states. If you nned
>the serial number and the condition, I would be more than glad to provide it
>to you.  Mark Chaney figured that you would like to heard about this.

Well, Mark has the only black Orion known to exist!  I would suspect the NY
fellow you speak of is the estimable Felix Portnov, who often has some most
interesting gear.

Chrome Russars are not surprising, as they seem to have entered production
in '74 when the Soviets were shifting from chrome to black finish.
Unfortunately, only one of that first batch of Russars is known to bear the
year in its serial number (KMZ often fails to follow the practice of other
Soviet/Post-Soviet factories in putting the year of production as the first
two digits in the serial number, as in '7401234' or '8909876' or the like.)

Thanks for letting me know -- and, yes, I would like the serial number!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!