Subject: Re: Russian 28mm Orion LTM- black or silver?
From: Evanjoe685@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 14:18:03 -0400 (EDT)

Marc James Small wrote::

>The 6/28 Orion-15 is a clone of the Carl Zeiss Jena 4/25 Topogon.  The
>Topogon is a design allowing superb definition and edge flatness in a
>wide-angle lens, but at the cost of great difficulty in manufacturing, some
>fall-off in edge brightness, and a restricted speed.  The 5.6/20 Russar
>MR-2 is also a Topogon clone.  Neither owes anything to the rather mediocre
>6.3/28 Hektor, a modified five-element triplet.

>The 5.6/20 Russar MR-2 has been manufacturered only at the KMZ plant
>outside of Moscow.  It was made only in LTM.  A small run was made in the
>early 1970's, then production was suspended until the later 1980's, when it
>was resumed.  I do not know of any Russars in bright finish;  all seem to
>have been made in black.  Of the first run, only one is known which has the
>year of manufacture in the serial number;  the second batch all seem to
>have this.

>Marc

>Marc James Small
>Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!
>FAX:  +540/343-7315

Hi Marc,
Sorry to paraphrase you in content, but I possess a chrome 20mm RussarF5.6 in
addition to the black finish Russat that I told you that  bought in UK.  I
have seen several (about four in total!) of the chrome finish Russars.  Two
in Uk, of which one I bought, and the other at a camera dealer in New York.
 I believe that the owner is Russian and that he has a pipeline of optics and
cameras coming in from the former USSR and its various states. If you nned
the serial number and the condition, I would be more than glad to provide it
to you.  Mark Chaney figured that you would like to heard about this.

 Regards,

Evan