Subject: Re: M Body Construction
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 11:37:38 -0700

Adisak Soon Wai Hoe wrote:

> Stephen
>
> May I know why the standard of finish on the outside of the newer M's is
> lower?? It does not seem to be so.....,

Compare a Mint- or better chrome M3/M2/M4 side by side to the chrome M6
in the same condition.  The finishes definitely appear different.
Whether one is superior to the other, I suppose depends upon your point
of view and what you like.

The older chrome finish has a brighter sheen and deeper luster to it. I
have no way to measure the exact thickness of the chrome, but the chrome
finish on the older cameras also seems to be thicker in practice.  When
you scratch an older body, there is chrome underneath.  When you scratch
a black chrome M6, its not too far until you get brass.

And of course, the engraved top on the M2/M3/M4 adds to the feeling of
quality that cannot be found on the later cameras (except the very
expensive M6J).

Interestingly, the chrome finish of the ultra expensive M6J seems to be
to a higher standard similar to the older cameras, judging from the
pictures I have seen. I do not own a M6J. Any M6J owners care to
comment?

Some time ago,  I made the comment that I thought all M6's should be
like the M6J, rather than having to pay extra for the added quality.

From an aesthetic point of view, their is no comparison in my eyes to a
nice black enamel M Vs the black chrome M6.  The black chrome is
functional and lowers production costs, but he beauty of the black
finish is gone.

Of course my comments are very subjective.  I make no claim about
"truth," but I know from experience that a lot of experienced Leica
collectors and users share these viewpoints.

Stephen