Subject: Re: Weston Meters (OFF TOPIC!)
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 20:48:07 -0400

The Weston 715 was the last model made before the Second War.  These
routinely appear at camera shows for $15 or so, working, less if dead.
They can readily be repaired by Quality Light-Metric in Hollywood.

Weston speeds are, for all intents and purposes, 80% of ASA.  100 Delta
rates at 80 Weston.

My father bought one of these puppies in 1939.  I still have it and use it
today -- in fact, it is my standard handheld meter.  (Selenium more closely
matches the response frequencies of film than does CdS or SPD or gallium
arsenide.)  Nice meter.  Readily available, easy to fix, tough, and
accurate (if you can live with that WIDE acceptance angle!)

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!
FAX:  +540/343-7315