Subject: Re: M6 & Infra-red
From: Bill Welch <Bill.Welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 21:12:18 -0700

> FKemper@aol.com writes
> >Definitely a Leica M6 is not designed to use IR film
> >(It lacks focus correction marks, for example).

> and Joe writes
> the lack of focus marks on
> Leica lenses does not indicate that the cameras are unsuitable for
> infrared, but only that Leica felt that the markings were misleading
> since they were accurate only at infinity, so they stopped using them.
> In Osterloh's Leica R guide (sorry I can't remember the exact title) he
> explains all this and gives the formula for calculating the exact
> refocusing required for different distances. After I read that formula
> that I realised I would be very content with a smallish aperture and
> using the dof to cover the difference...  ;-}
> --

Right, Joe.  In practice, the lack of focusing marks isn't a problem.
Simply rotate the focus of the lens slightly outward from the normal
focusing point, and let the depth of field take care of any imprecision.
The most dramatic IR effects are in full sun or good light anyway, and
even with a deep red filter there should be adequate light for stopping
down a Summicron 35 or 50. I found the Leica M to be perfectly suited for
IR shooting.

Bill Welch