Subject: Multiple bodies
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 97 16:29:23 -0400

>just wanted to know why you carry 2 M bodies?/ Is this your basic go
>everywhere kit?? The reason I asked this is because it seems a real hassle
>to me to bring 2 bodies around and deciding which one to use for what? I
>have 3 M bodies. Only one gets taken out seriously, another was given to a
>friend, the last is an older model that is not convenient in use. In case
>you're wondering, the 2 mentioned bodies are M6 s'

Adi,

I'm butting in, but the main reasons people carry more than one body are:

If you wear two or more bodies, with different lenses mounted on them,
you can switch from one focal length to another simply by changing
cameras. This is much faster than changing lenses on the same body; you
always have the right lens immediatly available. This is a very common
practice, and very useful if you are shooting quickly. Ted Grant often
has 5 or more cameras hanging off of him.

Many people need to shoot more than one type of film at the same time
(such as both BW and color). Somebody in the LUG mentioned always using a
chrome body for chromes and a black body for BW, to make it a no-brainer
to remember which is which.

If one camera has a breakdown (especially if it is something that is not
obvious, like a film transport problem) you still have the film you shot
with the other body or bodies; even if you are missing all of the color
shots, or all shots with a certain lens, at least you have something.
This can save your butt, since the more important the pictures are, the
more likely it is that something will go wrong.

- - Paul