Subject: Re: 11 contacts on the R8 !!!
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 26 May 97 00:39:42 EDT

Elliot wrote:
<<<With some seriousness Ted, what do you think of the R8?>>>>>

Elliot,

I'm a walking positive advertisement for the R8 and have been since mine came
into my hands before Christmas.

It is an extremely fine camera, the metering system is superb and for my hands
it has an almost sensual feeling.:) :)  OK OK I'm getting carried away. :)  It
is an extremely fine ergonomic design for the size of my hands, however their
have been a few whiners that say it's too big, well they should try the NIKON &
CANON for big.

The controls are as simple and easy to use and access without any problem, and
the dials can be adjusted easily even when wearing mitts or gloves.

The internal information bar across the bottom of the viewfinder is extremely
clear and easy to read, including how many frames you have shot, so that at no
time are you caught or should you be caught, running out of film at a crucial
shoot time.

<<Anything about it that you prefer over the M..>>>>>

To comment on that is like making a comparison between a Ferrari and a Porsche!
:)

I use my M6 cameras (3) for entirely different types of assignments and
situations to the R7's (3) or the R8 (1 at the moment, 2 others and three motors
on order). Each have their own specialty and I don't find one better than the
other, I just have them to use in my work and don't compare them.

<<I am wondering what would justify the purchase along with the inevitable group
of lenses.>>>>

I think you are the only one who could answer that question and in relation to
what kind of photography you are interested in doing. If you have the money and
like to use an entirely different set of glass (Macro and long tele's) than that
for the M camera, which will allow you to shoot a completely different
assignment, then go for it.

But it's a pile of money to invest and that is only getting the body without the
glass to go with it and that's when you get into the mega dollars big

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant