Subject: Re: which one
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 22 May 97 09:32:00 EDT

Harrison McClary wrote:

<<<The most enjoyable thing for me during my career as a photographer has not
been any of the cameras I have owned, it has been the places they have taken me,
the exciting things I have seen. >>>>>>>

G'day Harrison,

Your post, I would have put it all back here but for space, is an above
excellant description of my personal feelings towrads what we are as
photographers and what photojournalism and photography is all about.

As I read it, you were litterly taking words out of my mouth and for a fleeting
moment I thought maybe I had written it and forgotten that I had.:)  Old timers
affliction. :)

It is the people you meet, the things you learn and the experiences that no
matter how rich one maybe, they could never buy our experiences because of
taking pictures.

I like to say "all the money in the world can't buy what photography has given
to me and my family!"

The folks who collect Leicas, that is their thing and I realize they derive a
great deal of pleasure from their hobby just as you, I and many others get from
shooting. But in my heart I beleive the collector misses out on many of the
wonderful experiences of crossing the land and exposing film.  Not that some
don't do that and collect also. :)

<<He called it "The Game".  He said that: (1) None of us really worked for a
living, we got paid to play (true), (2) We all competed agianst each other to an
extent, but mostly agianst ourselves (true), (3) Some days you got the best
photo some days the other guy did -i.e. you win, he wins (true) and finally (4)
It is almost always fun and when not fun it is at least exciting (almost always
true).  So if you have the choice to work or play the game what are you going to
do.>>>>>>

A great description!  I might add in relation to shooting for a living when
referring to work:  "Work is moving concrete blocks! Photography isn't work,
it's fun, otherwise why do it?"

Thanks for starting my day off right! :)

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant