Subject: Re: So you want to change the world with your Leica
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 08 May 97 00:03:24 EDT

Donal Philby wrote:
<<<If you see Leicas as only some mechanical device, I'm sorry.  There is
so much more.  It is the technical, the techniques and the states of mind.>>>>>

Donal,

I agree with you, it isn't just brass, bits and pieces. As for moving
conversations pertaining to the use and involvement of the Leica from the Leica
Users Group to a more "favourable location".  Forget it big time! Maybe changing
the title to "Leica bits, pieces, collection and technology"  might well be a
better title.

Then of course I and many others who have been "USERS" for years would not be
here.  And imagine how dull it would be without those years of experince to call
on by the curious and rookies. Please understand, I'm not implying we with years
of experince are special in wisdom of techie things.

But we are special, that collectively in this Group I bet a dozen users, can
combine their time into a few centuries experience.  Is that not worth having as
a resource in the LUG for many others who have not yet had the opportunity to
learn?  Just maybe,  what we say about the philosophy or feelings of what drives
some of us, will open the door for a young guy or gal to go on and be a much
greater photographer than what we are!  I doubt the widgits and lens contrasts
will do that.:)

The meaning of the "Leica Users Group" in definition of title and in the
braodest sense means "using by users" and what occurs during the "use" of the
machine, not just the cold metal and glass bits

Leica Users Group:

LEICA:  denotes the make of camera with a rather worldly mystique!

USERS: denotes the using of the camera with the mystique"

GROUP:  well that is simple, it means the group of us Leica users.

Ergo: Leica Users Group completely implies,  the people involved are users of
this fine camera.  That being the case, whats the problem of involving
conversations of what happens during the "USE" of the camera?

Of course the technical questions are important, I might get a little raggady
assed at times with some of the questions, but damn I've learned a bunch of
things I never knew and I've had Leicas in my hands for what seems a million
years.

I sincerely thank the guys who always have the neatest answers to the questions
and the great patience to dig out the information, pass it on and make some
other Leica Users life a little better. A lot of credit due here!

But there isn't anything wrong with both aspects being here and yes on occaision
a techie thing dominates the screen for several days sometimes evoking a
personal question "Geeze are these guys never going to get it right? It's only a
damn lens, screw it in and go shoot pictures!"

When the shoe is on the other foot and it involves the philosophy, concept, life
and times, we know the techie folks get antsy, as we have seen with Roger and
his "mental masturbation" about what drives some of us.

Well so be it, as we are not going to move out because of one person's point of
view!  We are however going to try and understand that point of view, as it is
important for everyone to appreciate each other. And if we don't, we lose the
whole point of communicating and dialogue of being a member of the LUG!

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant