Subject: Re: Re: Good Bokeh
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 15:58:28 -0700

At 07:27 PM 5/6/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Jim, do you really believe this hooey, or are you just kind of

>having fun with us here?

>-Patrick

I personally believe there are vast differences between the Eastern &
Western cultures. It is indeed possible that Bokeh is a subtlety that can
have roots in the Japanese culture. Perhaps a spacial way of viewing
design and composition. You have to admit that there is a big difference
between French, German, Scandinavian, American, and Japanese designs. It
is part of each culture's fabric. The Japanese have evolved a way of (I
know what I want to say but don't know how to say it!) inner discipline
that puts importance in areas that are normally not important to us. I
believe that each culture and associated language has experiences,
meanings, disciplines, etc. that another cultures may have trouble
understanding. Does the fact that the Japanese symbols Bo Ke have no
equivalent in English (and perhaps other languages) mean anything? When
is the last time you heard of a Westerner committing hara-kiri
(<italic>seppuku</italic>) to save face. Killing yourself because you
dishonored your family is totally un-thinkable to Western culture. Of
course there are always ripples in the pond. Visit Japan town in any
large city. Look at the art, the photographs, etc. It clearly is
different than that which western cultures produce.

Like anything, Bokeh has been overly analyzed. It probably started as a
way of describing and using non-imaging form in design and composition.
Through heated discussion, over the years, Bokeh has probably been blown
way out of proportion. The fact that they discuss it in Japanese lens
tests states that they are *attempting* to analyze it. They even classify
"types" of Bokeh. To me, that in itself defeats its meaning. At this
point, IMHO, Bokeh has lost what it was supposed to be. Back way up in
time, and I believe Bokeh was an element that knowingly participated in
Japanese composition. It has now become a point of argument. "Leica glow"
may be a manifestation of Bokeh. Or vice-versa. When I think about "Leica
glow", I immediately think about the photograph by Bill Pierce, on page
205 of the "Leica Manual, 15th Edition." For some reason, this is more of
an emotion to me than a photograph. Everything participates. The child's
face and eyes. The mother's hug. And the very important smooth out of
focus background. It's simply riveting! This, <bold>to me</bold>, is
"Leica Glow." Perhaps "Bokeh" makes it possible. Perhaps it is simply the
photographer and his inherent abilities. I asked my wife what she thought
about this photograph. She said "Oh, it's nice, nothing special." I
simply do not know. I suspect everyone, depending upon their upbringing,
their outlook on life, past experiences, age, demeanor, etc, will have a
different idea of what Bokeh is... or isn't.

cannot see something, doesn't mean it is not there. Every single perception=
 mind is developed while being raised in a particular culture. There is=
 indeed a link between your culture and your perception. I will not attempt=
 to answer if Bokeh even exists or how an individual can perceive it. This=
 could become a topic without end. No two people ever agreeing. You've just=
 read my views on the whole matter. And I believe in what I said. No hooey.

Jim

PS... I'm not going to continue any farther with any part of this thread. So=
 don't flame me about cultures, Leica glow, seppuku, or any of this. I had=
 to answer Patrick with my honest personal views. Thanks for the bandwidth R=
oger.