Subject: LHSA, Collecting, etc
From: "Jeff Segawa" <segawa@nospam.netone.com>
Date: 6 May 97 21:15:37 -0700

On Tue, May 6, 1997 7:02 AM, Paul Krzyzanowski
<mailto:paul@research.bell-labs.com> wrote:
>I joined the LHSA at the end of December 1996 and have yet to
>receive a single issue. All I received thus far is a Leica
>catalogue (which I found totally useless... just a collection
>of classified ads).
>Should I be expecting more?

The regular LHSA  newsletter is Viewfinder, which is lots better when it's
not mostly taken up by coverage of the last get-together. Primarily aimed
at the collector, it nevertheless does contain a tidbit here and there
which might be of value to the user, and as a resource for finding folks
who can restore or customize your gear, it's valuble. Also, I once wrote in
a longish letter asking what all the fuss with the screw-mount Leicas was,
if no one was using them to take pictures, and got back a very nice,
thoughtful letter in reply. (In the end, I did manage to take a IIIc out
for a shoot and was very grateful that we've advanced since that time :-)
Lovely camera to behold; really a fuss to operate by today's standards!

I don't have much urge to own a collection, myself, though I'm always happy
to look at someone else's: Give me a mint-in-box MP, and I'll probably try
to very quickly turn it into a slightly used M6 plus lenses, and a whole
lotta money :-)

Jeff

By the way, I'd be most interested in hearing firsthand impressions from
folks who owned Leica gear at around the time that the M3 was first
introduced: Was it met with any hostility, as somehow being too
un-Leica-like?