Subject: Re: Prints vs. Offset printing -
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 23:14:40 -0400

At 07:05 PM 01-05-97 -0400, Frederic wrote:
>Hi Oddmund:
>You made some excellent points. What I found particularly salient was your
>comments on image pollution.
>And needless to say, nothing is comparable to an original print...I've
>contested for years that offset printing is a poor representation of the real
>thing & only detracts from the original....[snip]

I can recall a Marc Chagal exhibition a few years ago...One painting that I
particularly liked just happened to have been made available as a poster
from the museum's store.   At the exit to the exhibit, I got my money ready,
already planning on where I would hang my soon to be acquired poster, until
I saw it.  The reproduction paled in comparison to the original.  I suppose
this is true for all cheap copies of art works, but it was especially
noticeable when the original is only meters away from the copy.  I kept my
money.

I guess the moral for me is that as nice as books are for looking at
photographs, especially ones which are otherwise inaccessible, there is no
replacement for the real thing.

Dan C.