Subject: Re: Leica M 90mm
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 23:19:27 -0400

At 09:28 PM 28-04-97 -0400, Marc replied:

>At 09:15 PM 4/28/97 -0400, Curt wrote:
>>
>>Does anyone have any comments about the comparative subjective qualities of
>>the f/2.8 Leica-M lenses (not Rokkors or any made for CLs).  I'm looking for
>>a lightweight, very high quality lens for use with B&W film.  Thoughts?
>>Price is not an issue but I'm not interested in paying a premium for a
>>collectible.  TIA
>

>There are four lenses.  First, came the regular Elmarit, long and
>outstanding optically.  Next, came the 'fat' five-element Tele-Elmarit,
>shorter but even better optically.  Then camethe 'thing' four-element
>Tele-Elmarit, a tiny little thing but yet better optically.  Finally, we
>now have the Elmarit, a monster of a lens, almost as heavy as the
>Summicron, and it's the best of the lot optically, or so they say.
>
>Me?  I'd go for a collapsible 4/90 Elmar or 2.8/80 "thin" Tele-Elmarit.
>(MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CORRECT CAPS AND HOOD FOR THE LATTER, THOUGH.)

One advantage of the 4 element tele-elmarit is that I see many of them for
sale as used lenses, so they are probably not that expensive, and they ARE
compact, without the hood and cap it will fit in the regular M6 everready
case (mounted on the camera, of course ;-) )

Dan C.