Subject: Russian MTO's
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 08:15:24 -0400

At 12:12 PM 5/1/97 +0000, Willem Jan Markerink wrote:
>Do *thin* M42->Leica-R adaptors exist at all?

All T-adapters consist of two parts, an outer ring which has the camera's
mount and an inner ring which contains the 42mm T-thread.  These two rings
are held in place by three equilaterally arranged screws.  Loosen the
screws and the two rings can be separated.  The same basic arrangement
connects the M42 mount to the Russian lens.  Take the M42 ring off the MTO,
disassemble a T-adapter, and put the mounting ring onto the MTO.  Tighten
the screws, and, voila!

The original MTO's as sold by Spiratone had true T-mounts, and there was a
small family of lenses produced in the late 1960's which had permanently
affixed M39 or M42 mounts, both in M42 registration.  But, since 1970 or
so, all lenses have been as described above.

Three ARE three versions of the 500mm MTO, the f/8, the f/6.3, and the
f/5.6.  To my knowledge, the latter two are identical, the difference
simply being one of accomodating either Stolze or International markings.
The 4.5/300 sounds interesting,  but I've never seen one on this side of
the Atlantic.

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!