Subject: Re: Leicaphilia
From: "Jeff Segawa" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: 30 Apr 97 00:50:24 -0700

On Tue, Apr 29, 1997 7:11 AM, Ted Grant wrote:
>This can produce some very nice photographs for ones wall and saves
spending
>money on the prints of others. :) There isn't anything like having folks
visit
>your home and complimenting you on "your work" hanging in the living room!
>
>And as far as buying prints of those I like, I prefer to collect books for
my
>personal library, as without books to learn photography, it is like trying
>sail the oceans without charts.

Unfortunately, when you view a reproduction, you are viewing the work out
of context, in the sense that you not necessarily seeing the scale,
physical mounting, lighting and yes, print quality, that the artist
intended. I am not advocating that a person purchase a costly work of art:
Sometimes, it's enough just to see it on public display. Sometimes, it's
not costly.

I am interested in the works of others, because they may have totally
different, yet equally valid, visions and means of expression: There is no
right or wrong way to do it, and mistakes are rarely fatal, unlike being
lost at sea. The Arts have gotten a bad rap as being somehow frivolous
compared to say, a new elevated expressway and more parking spaces: Maybe
if our values were reversed, we'd have a lot less brutal ugliness and
mean-spiritedness in our daily lives.

Jeff