Subject: Re: Leicaphilia
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 29 Apr 97 23:49:46 EDT

Donal Philby wrote:

<<<<I, too, am a collector of books, not prints.  One of the beauties of
photography is that it is accessible to almost anyone.>>>>>>

Hi Donal,

I feel it is much better to have the books, as in effect I have a large picture
collection within those books of many of those whose work I admire. Rather than
spending huge amounts of money for a single print of which there are many many
of them hanging on the walls of the world.

The books create a greater feeling of motivation than the single print, I can
loan my books (on threat of death if not returned) <g> I can read information of
the hows and why fors and I beleive the books are of more information value.

Now I say this without belittling the buying of a magnificent original print, as
if it isn't an original then why bother. My idea of collecting prints is I get
an original print and the negative in the same manner as purchasing the single
art piece in oils.

And if it isn't an original, why not cut it out of an art photography book, have
it nicely framed and hung on the wall. In many cases only you will know the
difference. :)

I would like to point out one book in particular that as far as I'm concerened
as a Leica photographer is the most motivating of any book I've seen.  "75 Years
of Leica Photography"  Any photographer going through that book will be
motivated, however a Leica photographer is just like a finely bred race horse
after thumbing through the pages and can't wait to get out and start shooting.

It almost doesn't matter what the subject is, it is just get out there with that
damn camera and start shooting everything and anything that moves or doesn't.
But start taking pictures.  It is a very motivating book and those who have
never seen it should get a copy, as it is worth every cent you pay for it!  It
sure beats the hell out of looking at TV as you can sit and thumb through it
again and again, seeing something new everytime. Gorgeous book.

It is a sort of antithesis in having to deal with moron art directors and
editors who generally are visually challenged. You go through this book and you
become a believer again.

And no one single print can do that as far as I'm concerened. Maybe, but.....

ted

Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant