Subject: Re: Leica vs Nikon
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 22:15:20 -0400

At 08:53 PM 4/25/97 -0400, Paul wrote:
>Another thing, which I'd be interested to hear Marc's comments on, is how
>extensively they were distributed since they violated international
>patents. Were these cameras sold in Europe, for instance?

Simple answer.  Germany and Japan were BOTH conquered nations under
military governments.  The Allies would not allow Zeiss and Leica to
protect their patents by legal action.  Anywhere.  Nikon WAS restricted
from selling in the US for a while -- their 24 by 32 format resulted
because of some hairbrained regulation we adopted in the mid 1940's
preventing the import of 24 by 36 cameras from the Orient.  Once Nikon
responded by changing the format, we realized how silly this was, and
relented.

I have a recollection from a fellow I used to correspond with in Chile that
Chile, Brazil, and Argentina would not allow Nikon and Canon to sell there
until the mid-1950's, out of respect for German patents.  But that is a
third-hand story and I've never researched the point.

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!
FAX:  +540/343-7315