Subject: Re: Sugar Spills, Water spills, Oddmund after all.....
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 24 Apr 97 19:21:39 EDT

<<< Some  EOS lenses are quite susceptible to sugar drops too. >>>>>>>

OK guys I guess I have to get into this one only because it's for real time and
not an every day occurance regarding liquids and camera gear.

My assistant and I had an aerial shoot from a helicopter, fortunately I wasn't
using my Leica gear as I was forbidden to use it on staff assignments as Canon
was the photographic sponsor. Canon being upset giving all these thousands of
dollars worth of EOS 1 gear for me to use and then me putting Leica in their
face was very unkosher..

Any how we are about half way through the flight and we are all over the place
with my door off and the assistant is becoming a little pale as she re-loads
cameras and hands me lenses to change.

On the floor at her feet are a half dozen EOS lenses, a couple of EOS1 bodies
and a few other bits and pieces and she is now having a problem, as she just
can't keep it down any longer and there are "NO BARF BAGS"!!!

Yep!!!!!!!  She couldn't do anything else and with hands over mouth trying to
avoid the inevitable, out it came and all over the gear! Well there isn't much I
can do but keep shooting as we are in a $1000.00 an hour chopper and it is a
crucial shoot, this day isn't going to happen again.

I had a couple of hankies in my vest and a a couple of other wipers and handed
them to her in an attempt to clean-up. She didn't do too badly, but as we
changed lenses the damn stuff kept leaking out on my hands and too say the least
the rest of the shoot was a "hang tough" flight.:)

When we landed we got clean wipers and water and cleaned all the exterior and
where we could sort of clean any other holes or places we did. Left it all
sitting out in the sun for half hour to sort of "dry out" while she regained
herself completely. She re-stowed everything and it all functioned OK for
another four months before we had to give it  back to Canon.

So if any of guys have bought a Canon lens as a demo, have a real close look! :)
True story honest! :)

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant