Subject: RE: Spills in mirror box
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:12:50 -0500

Just for the record:  I have not had any problems personally with food
and drink spills in my EOS 1n Mirror box or with my EOS lenses.  I
rarely get to eat or drink while I'm working.    Rain, well having
lived in Costa Rica and Ecuador for over 5 years, my F-1n's and Fd
lenses have handled quite abit of rain, drizzle and mist without nary a
problem.  EOS equipment stays in the office for foul weather jobs.
HCJB has been building a  hydro reservoir up near 14000 ft.  and it
rains and mists constantly.  Taking photos while keeping water off the
front is a constant battle.  I don't shoot in the rain unless I have to
though.

I know people who have had spills and in my prior photographic retail
experience we saw and heard  just about every excuse you could think of
as to how things got into their camera.

We had one guy who was in a rather bad accident and bled all over his
camera in which the lens and lens mount was severed from the camera,
blood was into everything.   To make matters worse, he didn't bring the
camera to us until a week or so after he got out of the hospital.
(Our repair shop politely declined to work on it.)  Another customer
came back from Asia with several dozen small insects scurrying around
inside her zoom lens.  I'm sure any repairman can tell you story after
story.

So carelessness with liquids and cameras can lead to unfunctionallity.

Duane