Subject: Re: Lens contrast and Ilfochrome
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 22:12:07 -0400

At 12:43 AM 4/23/97 +0100, JB wrote:
>I wonder- could the lower
>contrast of some Leica lenses actually be of benefit in this instance?
>Does anyone who prints Ilfochrome have an opinion on the lens contrast
>issue as regarding the end product- the Ilfochrome print?

I've Ilfochromed slides shot with cameras dating from 1930 to the present.
In general, older lenses have lower contrast;  this is especially true of
uncoated lenses, but even early coated lenses did not yield as 'crisp' an
image as do modern lenses.

But I've not seen a tremendous difference in print qualities -- some, but
not a lot.  If you want to pick up the shadow detail with Ilfochrome, shoot
MF or LF.

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!