Subject: Lens contrast and Ilfochrome
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 00:43:03 +0100

Lens contrast is generally considered to be a good thing, and more is
generally considered to be better than less. When older Leica lenses are
compared to current ones, I notice that the older lens is often said to
have lower contrast than the newer one. I'm in the process of setting up
a darkroom again, and hope to do some Ilfochrome printing. From my
limited experience with Cibachrome, I know this material gives rather
contrasty prints; I've seen comments that Ilfochrome raises the contrast
of the image causing loss of shadow detail. I wonder- could the lower
contrast of some Leica lenses actually be of benefit in this instance?
Does anyone who prints Ilfochrome have an opinion on the lens contrast
issue as regarding the end product- the Ilfochrome print?
- --
JB