Subject: Re: M6 Dilemma
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 10:09:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All -

We've been on a familiar old topic again.

Excerpted:

Author:  leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us at Internetmail
Date:    4/16/97 6:18 PM

I have to agree with Jim.  But i feel the need to add that I find
nothing about Nikon lenses to recommend them.  I have tried on numerous
occasions to like Nikon lenses but I always find the pictures
uninteresting and flat, wheter it be color or Black & white.  And it is
true that a lot of Nikon optics may test better (on an optical bench)
than some of Leica's, I find the results from Leica lenses far more
pleasing than Nikon.

Jim Zeitz wrote:

> On the contrary, I have always found Leicas and Nikons to be very
> uncomplementary. Infinity is in the opposite direction and opening the
> aperture is also opposite.
>
> This is why I sold all of my Nikon equipment in the late 70's and have
> never really looked back.

You know, this is just like arguing over paint brushes.  I own both Leica M
and Nikon.  They are neither, in economist's terms, perfect compliments or
perfect substitutes for one another.  They happen to be the same format.
What makes the Leica so unique is that it is a small rangefinder camera.
Aside from the Contax, it's the only one out there.  I don't compare it to
my Nikon, I simply use it to that purpose for which it is best suited.  One
thing I know for sure is that I can walk many more miles with a lot less
discomfort with my M4-P over my shoulder than my F4s.  For me, my Leica is
my essential tool.  I couldn't care less which way a lens focusses or the
aperture turns or if it's different from another camera.  Whichever camera
is brought to my eye is focussed instinctively through years of use (or by AF).

Curt