Subject: weekend assignment response
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 14 Apr 97 16:52:20 EDT

 Ladies & Gentlemen of the LUG:

I realize you LUGNUTS lead an extremely busy life, however I thought there might
have been a few intelligent responses for those of us who wished to learn how
you might cover an assignment through your choice of Leica equipment and film.

In turn it might have enlightened some of us who consider shooting pictures is
still a learning thing until the day we die. There are many amateur shooters in
here who might have benefitted from your past experience or suggestions for the
future.

Therefore I'll explain my choice of equipment, film and why:

As you know the hypothetical assignment was shooting a "day in the life of a
group of seniors". Simple enough as there are a number of them in here or it
seems there are. :)

1/  Camera, M6 and 50mm f.1, Noctilux.

WHY:
The camera is the least distracting and has built in metering. The lens allows
shooting from the ideal light to the most atrocious that would be encountered in
the course of the day. And in the event one needed a slightly wider angle, one
could make do by backing-up or a closer exposure, move in closer.  But for a
general one purpose lens for this type of assignment, this is the ultimate for
documentary projects.
(although I would agree there are occaisions when a 35mm f 1.4 Summilux would be
more appropriate!) it would be my second choice if need be.

FILM:
KODAK T-max 3200. This is on the assumption the majority of the shooting is
indoors, as probably would be the case with a seniors group. It allows to make
full use of ultimate film speed combined with the world's fastest available
lens.

I would process the film myself to ensure maximum quality of negatives and
exposures.

Besides, "people are illustarted more powerfully in B&W than colour!"
Think about it in these terms: "To shoot people in colour is to photograph their
clothes. But shoot them in B&W reveals their souls!"

Now that wasn't too difficult was it? So what happened to all you experienced
folks out there who always appear to have all the right answers for everything
Leica and picture taking?

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant