Subject: Re: Enlarger lens question
From: Colin <colinmi@fast.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 21:45:50 -0600

Steven Blutter wrote:

> Joe Berenbaum wrote:
> >
> > I'm going to do some printing again at some point (black and white and
> > Ilfochrome), and will need a good 50mm enlarger lens to put on my old
> > Omega enlarger. I now also have a Bowens Illumitran with contrast
> > control unit with which I want to copy slides. This also will need a
> > good quality enlarger lens of 50-60mm focal length (and ideally an
> > aperture of f2.8 for easier focusing and framing). I thought first of a
> > Rodagon or Componon but I'm just wondering about the Leitz/Leica lens
> > options. I also wonder whether my Leica slides would be better- more
> > faithfully- copied by a Leica enlarger lens rather than a Schneider or
> > Rodenstock lens. Any opinions on Leica enlarger lenses versus the
> > competition for my intended applications?
> > --
> > JB
>
> go with the componon - mine are very crisp all the way out.  got rid of
> my leitz - just not great.

Steven,

Which Leitz did you have?  The 40, 50 or other.  I've heard the 50
wasn't quite as good as some others, but the 40 should be excellent.
I haven't tried it though.  I would agree on the Schneider.  I have an
80mm 4 Componon-S.  It's one of my favorite lenses of all time.  I use
it for 6x6 and 35mm enlarging.  I also use it on bellows for the
Hasselblad and Leica.  It's never disappointed me.  I also have a
Rodagon 150 that matches it for sharpness, but I don't get around to the
4x5 camera often enough.

I had a Rodagon-G 50 and an APO Rodagon 50.  While they were both
excellent lenses, I couldn't see any better performance in a B&W 11x14
than my Componon-S.  In fact, I couldn't get a satisfactory 11x14 from
the Rodagon-G because it is optimized for much larger prints.

I'd recommend the Schneider.  They cost about 1/3 of the Leica also.

Colin

P.S.  I'd also be interested in hearing a comparison of the 40mm Focotar
vs. other lenses.