Subject: Re: Photographing the Comet
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 06 Apr 97 20:54:24 EDT

<<<I'm going to experiment with using flash to illuminate the foreground during
a long exposure in the dark. Any suggestions?>>>>>>>>

Hi Charlie,

Yeah, see if you can get plugged into the sun for one big mother of a flash! :)
I'm just kidding Charlie.

I guess it would be a rear curtain kind of thing to get the sky exposed and then
pop the flash at the end of the exposure. But the guys who use flash regularly
can give you much better information than I, as I rarely use flash and only if
my life deends on it.:)

I bet you have some great gear in the  Earth Sciences Department for shooting
the comet or folks there who would know exactly what and how to get the best
effects.

<<<It's also helpful to frame the comet with something in the foreground. >>>>

You see that is just the opposite of what I thought everyone would be doing. I
figured all the shooting would be with the longest possible lens anyone could
lay their hands on and forget anything on mother Earth, but a few folks here
have said they used shorter lenses and like you, had something in the frame
besides just the comet.

Damn I guess I'll just have to wait around for the next time it goes by. :)  ?
If I do, man am I going to be the worlds oldest photographer.:)

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant