Subject: M4 purchase advice needed
From: Kim Sherman <ksherman@cottenmusic.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:35:12 -0600

Hi folks,

I'm looking at purchasing a chrome M-4 (my first M body--I currently have a
CL w/40mm and 90mm lenses) , serial #1192020 from Ken Hansen photo.  Ken's
asking $1050 for it, and it's in Exc+ (his grading) shape.  I have the
camera in-hand, and there are very few rub marks (some around the strap
lugs, but no big deal); a small piece of leather is chipped off on the back
just above the film dial.  The film advancement is louder than that of my
husband's M2-R, and it's not as smooth.  Ken tells me it would cost about
$100 to have the camera overhauled  completely and about $120 to have the
leather replaced on the full body.  Given the fact most M4s I've found are
much more expensive, I'm trying to decide if I should buy this one and have
the work done myself, OR if I should send it back and keep looking.

I'm not wanting a "collector" condition M4, just a user---but a great
condtion user, if that makes sense.

I would appreciate your advice on whether to keep it, and if so, where to
send it to have the work done completely and at a fair price.

Thanks for your time.

Kim Sherman