Subject: Re: Condensation on Jungle flights/theft
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 14:35:32 -0500

>>>When I opened my case, condensation formed on and in every bit of
>>>equipment in the case and I was not able to use a single item in
that
>>>case for the time I had at that particular village.

>Was the Halliburton checked into the flight with the rest of the
baggage?
>If so, they are usually exposed to  low temperatures (unlike cabin
baggage)
>during the flight and water vapour will condense on the cold equipment
when
>the bag is opened.  Leaving the equipment exposed will eventually
allow the
>water to re-evaporate but the faster way is to place the whole lot of
>equipment into a humidity settable cabinet at room temperature.
Sometimes a
>hotel air-conditioned room will also work.

>I find that the best prevention is to hand carry the equipment on
flight.
>Dan K.

Maybe I didn't make this clear enough in the earlier posts,  I flew in
a 4 seater Cessna plane.  My take-off strip was maybe a 1000 ft higher
than the dirt landing strip in the middle of nowhere.  It was about a
40 minute flight and I don't remember being any higher than 5000 or
6000 ft above sea-level.  My case was located behind me in the cabin of
the plane.   I had pulled one camera, one lens and a flash out of the
case at the hanger to take photos of the pilot in flight.  I had been
working near the hanger for about a week, so my EQ was at climatized.

When you land anywhere in the jungle, people come to the airstrip as
that is about the most exciting thing that happens.  After a few
minutes they disappear back into the jungle.  Since it was an emergency
flight, we landed, loaded the infant and mother and a few things from
the village and took off again.

The only reason I liked using Halliburton cases in the first place was
that I could lock them and I didn't have to worry about curious hands
finding their way into them while I'm working.   I never had anything
stolen out my Halliburtons as you can't slice it open or lift EQ out of
it.  I can also leave it relatively unattended in many locations where
I work without incident.  It does attract much attention out on the
street however and I've had to confront pick-pockets who were following
me, or rather the case.   They think I a am tourist and are quite
intimidated, not to mention surprised when I tell them to get lost in
near perfect Spanish.   Pickpockets are of a different breed than armed
muggers, I would not verbally confront mugger-types as distance is a
good thing.  Rather, I stop in the doorway of a store or small shop and
visually confront them.  If  they realize that you have spotted them
and are getting a real good look at them and their partners, more often
then not, they will nervously leave and move on to a more unsuspecting
target.  I stop every so often and get a good look at who's around
before taking photos.  Thieves like working you over while you have a
camera at eye-level so it helps to look around first.
Eventually though, you will have something stolen if you work on the
streets long enough.  I have everything insured for new replacement
values.

I rarely use a Halliburton metal case anymore, instead I use one or two
of 4 different Domke bags (or carry two cameras under my jacket) based
on  how much gear is required for the shot.  I've only had three items
stolen on location, one camera in a touristy old church, my Seiko watch
on a bus, (that person was really, really good) and a flash on the
field at the Ecuadorian Soccer Championship.  But my office was broken
into and I lost  my bag of fast lenses.  A  Canon fd 24 1.4L a 50 1.2L
and a 135 f/2.

I'm digressing.  Back to the list.  I sent my membership dues to the
Leica Historical  Society of America today,

Viva Leica!

Viva!

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio