Subject: RE: condensation
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 8:59:15 -0500

>From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
>Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 18:06:41 +0100.
>Subject: Re: Fwd: gear in rainforest?

>"BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec> writes
>>One  word of advice to anyone flying into the jungle.  Don't keep
your
>>equipment in sealed cases or bags during the flight.  The first time
>>Flew into the jungle I put some equipment in a Halliburton 103 case.

>>When I opened my case, condensation formed on and in every bit of
>>equipment in the case and I was not able to use a single item in that

>>case for the time I had at that particular village.

>Just curious- I won't be jungling anytime soon but the condensation
>problem has always fascinated me- in the above instance, wouldn't
>leaving the case unopened for a couple of hours in the warmer
>environment to allow temperatures to equalise solve the problem?
- - --
JB

Theoretically yes.   Either way, if it's not raining and at 100%
humidly, it should indeed dry out eventually,  I haven't timed how long
it would take because I don't ever want that to happen again.   The
condensation wasn't just all over the outside of the items but inside
every camera and lens too!   There are days when clothes never seem to
dry out and I'd just as soon not have moisture condensing in my lenses
and cameras period.  The one camera and lens I had out during the
flight were fine but have you ever tried to isolate shy subjects from
the back ground with a 20-35 zoom???????  The shoot ended up being
pretty much a bust anyhow, I was supposed to shoot a jungle medical
emergency flight and the Shuar infant in question just had worms.  It
was more serious than it sounds but not what the writer wanted for his
article.  I ended up going out again on a later flight.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador