Subject: Re: Shutter reaction time/ was Leica bashing ...
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 97 00:03:50 -0400

> Hey guys I'm sorry I guess I'm really stupid or something. But could someone
> explain to me what the delay in the camera has to do with the Gold medal
winner
> crossing the finish line of the 100 meter final at the Olympics ? :)

Ted,

If you are photographing very tiny slices of time (like when a runner
hits the tape), you anticipate the instant slightly, so you press the
shutter an instant before the picture happens. You don't hit the button
when he hits the tape; you are panning to follow him, you anticipate what
is about to happen, and you fire at just the right instant, all without
consciously thinking about it. If it's a ball being caught or the peak of
a jump, if you wait until you see it, it's too late to take the picure.

However, if there is a long delay between when you press the shutter and
when the camera fires, it would be harder to hit a precise instant in
time. Some SLRs have a delay close to 1/5 second _longer_ than an M. (The
R Leicas are pretty fast, as has been mentioned). This is a very real
problem. I've taken pictures for people with their autofocus cameras, and
I find the delay annoying even for static subjects. How many feet will a
ball or a runner cover in 1/5 second? If you pressed the two shutters at
the same instant, and one camera took the picure in 15 ms and the other
in 200, you could have the difference between a cover shot and one that
would never get printed except on your contact sheet.

Having said that, if they know their cameras, I think most people
automatically adjust to the delay of the one they're using, unless the
delay is really extreme. When I first starting using an M, the quickness
of the shutter was surprising at first, but was part of what I immediatly
liked about it.

- - Paul