Subject: Re: Noctilux 50
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 23 Mar 97 01:37:18 EST

Dennis Painter wrote:

<< I think you are right, you have to forget about any tests and look at the
pictures it delivers.  Isn't that what counts anyway? >>>>

G'evening Dennis,

Well it has always been that way in my book and I know many of the techie folks
will shake their heads about my lack of technical knowledge. However I've always
been more interested in shooting pictures rather than knowing all the technical
numbers, I have bought all my lens for what I wanted them to do and not from the
technical data of how many widgets and wiggles per millimeter they have. :)

As far as the Noctilux goes I bought it because I knew it was basically the
fastest lens for my Leica M's and would allow me to shoot in available darkness
situations where I wouldn't otherwise get photographs.  Besides when people see
you looking like you are taking pictures in very darkened rooms they think you
are only fooling or they will tell you that your flash didn't work.

I just reply with a,"thankyou, I hadn't noticed!" and smile. It does wonders.

<<<What can you tell us about the weight and bulk of this lens when you are
using it?>>>>

I just handle it like any other lens and because I have used it for a number of
years I don't relate to the weight nor bulk. It just gives me a solid chunk to
hang onto for slow shutter speeds.  You see it is easier to hold a lens of that
size and weight steady at slow shutter speeds (1/15: & 1/8th: and if I'm really
careful I can get away with a 1/4. However I'm pressing my luck at that speed).
There is a greater danger of camera shake at slow speeds holding an M with a
light weight lens like a f1.4 35 Summilux. Something some folks don't
understand, but it is much like using a light weight tripod, the breeze can make
them wiggle, where as a heavy tripod just stands its' ground and you have a
solid platform for the camera.  Weight and bulk!

Hope this helps.
ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant