Subject: Re: Leica Alternatives--Fogging
From: Steve <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 20:55:23 -0800

Marc James Small wrote:

> At 05:27 PM 3/22/97 -0800, Stephen Gandy wrote:
> >If you think I am imagining the fogging problem,  call Don Chatterton.
> >He will likely  be as amused by your attitude as I am.   If you don't
> >know about it, it doesn't exist.
> >Right you are Ted.
> >

> I have discussed this with Chatterton who denies there is such a problem.
> The conversation was in the fall of 1995.

Pick up the phone Monday, as will I, and call Don.  Ask him why he walks
around with a small flashlight to examine optics at shows.   Don is a
friend of mine, and this problem is a common topic of conversation.  He
was the one who told me it was caused by the condensation of the whale
oil.

While you are at it, also ask Tac or John of MAC Camera, or Leslie Bell
of Fuji.  All are experienced buyers, and I find it hard to believe they
will not confirm that Leitz lens from the 50's and 60's having a serious
fogging problem--they deal with it every day and pay less for lenses
with that problem.

Perhaps I should clarify "fogging."  I am not talking about glass which
is fogged over and opaque.  And I am not talking about dust or fungus.
The condition which necessitates cleaning, costing an average of $30 or
more per lens, is OFTEN NOT VISIBLE by simply holding the lens up to the
nearest light or window.

To see it, you need a small powerful flashlight---sometimes even then
the problem can only be seen in one direction.  So shine the light
through both ends of the lens to check it properly.   For lack of a
better description, ANY light fog or smoke like effect on any of the
elements, is what requires the cleaning and is commonly known in the
camera business as "Fog" or "Haze."

To get a better  idea of what I am talking about, take a brand new lens
and do the light test as described.  You will see nothing but clear
glass.  That clear glass effect is what you are looking for in ANY lens
regardless of how old,  because if its not crystal clear------you get
internal light reflections and loss of contrast.

Nikon and Canon lenses from the 50's/60's are usually  clear.  The same
vintage lenses from Leitz usually need to plan a trip to the repair
shop.

If ANY fog/smoke/haze (whatever you want to call it) is visible with
that light, it needs a cleaning.

While I agree with you that LA air quality sucks, I have also found the
same problem with lenses I bought in the Midwest  and the East coast.

Stephen Gandy