Subject: tripod
From: deg <degu@mail.provide.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 23:42:58 -0500

Hello all:

I've just invested in a tripod and head to use with my M6. It was a tough
decision to go for this equipment, as I also would like a second body and
macro lens for close up nature shots (used Nikon and micro 105mm lens I
think). Anyway, I figured 1 tripod first before two bodies. All good things
in order.

I have chosen a Gitzo 126 for the legs. The 126 is 15 inches when collapsed
and can fit in my daypack or even my cordura briefcase. It grows to 53 odd
inches and weighs 3 lb. The G120 was also another choice, and grows
slightly taller than the G126, but is 20 inches long collapsed. I got the
G126 for under $200 mail order, which I think is a pretty good deal. The
carbon mountaineer was beautiful, but too rich for me ($500 range).

I chose a Linhof Ballhead 1 Panorama as the head. It is light (10 oz),
compact, and well made. It has panorama adjustment, and the knobs are large
enough but do not stick out to catch on things. I got it for $135 mail
order.

Yes $335 seems like a high price to pay now, but it sure will be nice to
use this fine equipment out on the trail!

As for all the discussions of morality of owning a Leica I am reading: I am
just plain enjoying the heck out of my M6. I don't feel immoral or guilty
to have it. I figure it will hold its value, and should I sell it, I will
recoup much of my investment. I will have used a quality peice of gear for
low cost in the end. But I will never sell my M6.... it is too much fun!

As for the discussion of the Leica vs nikon vs contax (the pjw
thread)..WOW! I am getting quite a history lesson! I promise never ever
ever ever to venture into that area!!!!!!  I would love to go to a show and
see some of those older cameras you guys are wrestling over in the thread.

Have fun,
Bob