Subject: Re: Leica History Term paper
From: colin <colinmi@fast.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 01:54:22 -0600

Hal Robinson wrote:

> I was just assigned a term paper for a history class.  It deals with an
> invention/product and what it has done for its industry.  What better topic
> than what Leica has done for photography.  I would appreciate any knowledge
> that deals with what leica did in specific times that led/moved photography
> into the 20 century.  You get the idea.  Thanks Hal
>
>         Hal Robinson
>         Columbia, South Carolina
>

> >                             (`.-,')
> >                            .-'    ;
> >                         _.-'  ,`,-
> >                   _ _.-'     '  /._
> >                 .' `  _.-.  /  ,'._;)
> >                (       .  )-| (
> >                 )`,_ ,'_,'  \_;)
> >         ('_  _,'.'  (___,))
> >          `-:;.-'

Hal,

I'm not sure how closely this ties in with your theme but one of the
first things that came to mind was a book I read a long time ago: Susan
Sontag ON PHOTOGRAPHY.  I kind of remember a section discussing the
impact of the small camera on society.  This might be a broader topic
than what Leica has done for camera manufacturing but an interesting
read nonetheless.  A brief quote:

"A way of certifying experience, taking photographs is also a way of
refusing it--by limiting the experience to a search for the photogenic,
by converting experience into an image, a souvenir.  Travel becomes a
strategy for accumulating photographs.  The very activity of taking
pictures is soothing, and assuages general feelings of disorientation
that are likely to be exacerbated by travel.  Most tourists feel
compelled to put a camera between themselves and whatever is remarkable
that they encounter.  Unsure of other responses, they take a picture.
This gives shape to experience: stop, take a photograph, and move on..."

Anyway,

Colin