Subject: Re: M/R
From: uskanb2n@ibmmail.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 16:12:03 EST

*** Resending note of 03/19/97 15:02

Doanal Philby wrote:

<<<In my humble experience, the Ms are for working with the flow of
things, SLRs for more formal composition. This is true whether in color
or Black and White. The difference between writing with a pencil and
paper and writing on a typewriter.>>>>>

My style of use is some what different, driven by lens avalability. I
use my M as an avaliable light camera, since it has fast lenses, and
when conditions force the use of flash, I can still frame and focus by
available darkness where SLRs become completely hopeless. (I did some
documentation shots (with flash) of some antique printing equipment
where I had to look real close to see well enough to set the camera, but
could still focus and frame thanks to the brightness of the
viewfinder... The finished slides gave no hint that the room was
actually about as dark as a dungeon... Not in the least realistic, but
clearly documenting the machinery.)
      My Leicaflex outfit was concieved of as a primarily outdoor
system, 'though its present gaps make me drag along the M on outdoor
outings as well.
      BTW: someone recently commented on the Leica as a luxury item.
Some years back, observing the rapid escalation in Leica prices, I
decided to retire my M outfit and bought an all new auto focus Nikon
system. I tried and tried to get decent B&W prints with that camera, and
they just were never very acceptible, lacking in sharpness & contrast.
The revelation eventually struck: It's the lenses stupid, and traded the
lot off...
                                         - John Lowther Reply-To: