Subject: Re: A Puzzlement!!! New R 35-70 F4
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 17:19:18 -0800

Lucien van Dievoet wrote:

> Donal Philby wrote
>
> <I would recommend a R7 and 35-70 as similar quality except <that, maddeningly ,
> <the lens doesn't focus close enough.
>
> Donal,
>
> I've just finished to reed a PMA report.
> Leica just launch a new 35-70 F4 with  one Asph lens , minimum focusing 20 cm
> ?!?!?
>
> I'm very disapointed !!
>
> I was expecting a 35-90mm or 35-100mm F2,8.
>
> >From my experience, a 35-70mm zoom is one of the useless lens existing !
>
> (I already had three of them, Minolta (the same as the Leica 3,5) and Nikon)
>
> And open at F4 ??
>
> What's the point to have one on your camera, if you have to switch to a 80-200mm
> only to make a portrait at  90 mmm.
>
> I hope, whe will see soon, a 35-100mm 2,8 matching the quality of the 70-180mm
> f2,8.
>
> Lucien,

Interesting news.  Why am I so often dissappointed with industry
anouncements???  Nikon just released a new 80-200 with tripod collar,
but with same optics and same AF focus speed.  It seems like tremendous
effort (both R&D and HYPE) is put into vague improvements.

I find the 35-70 very useful.  In fact, 80-90% of what I do can be done
with that lens.

My ideal would be a 35-90 f/2.  I wouldn't care weight or cost, hardly.
But it would be easier to focus than an F/4 and long enough for
portraits.  I use the 35-70 Nikkor for a lot of boat shooting because it
is easy to compensate for how the photo boat is  moving along side the
boat being shot.  And can quickly go from full frame at 70 to vertical
or horizontal with sky and background at 35mm.   Art directors
appreciate the flexibility.  Near impossible with fixed lenses, trying
to change them mid roll on fast moving boat when I have maybe one or two
minutes to do stern quarter, midship and bow views on one roll before we
run into land on other side of lake or harbor.

The 35-70 f/3.5 is not a great lens,  only slightly better than the
Nikkor, so the ASPH might be an optical improvement, but my view is--why
did they waste their time and money?  The R&D on the 100-280 could have
been used here.  If they made a "great" 35-90 f/2.8 or especially f/2
with one ring focus and zoom, virtually every serious Leica R shooter
would have one.  Of course, that might be the reasoning--it would
decrease sales of the prime lenses!!!

The saddest part of your news is that it means we will have to wait more
years for a really useful 35-70, instead of having hope for the near
future.

Donal Philby
San Diego