Subject: people
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:46:30 -0800

The "talking" about something is ALWAYS OK when it's YOU doing the talking.
The talking about Leicas & guns, the talking about antimatter and gaggles
of pens, the talking about WHY your leaving the list, and yes, even THIS
POST, are all GUILTY of the very behavior that we are ALL talking about. We
aren't a bunch of Leica technical robots. We are PEOPLE and have opinions,
passions, personalities, etc.

Where else will you find someone giving up a much needed hour of sleep in
order to look-up the answer to a perfect stranger's post? Or write about an
experience just to help a total stranger? The human ego is very powerful.

I've been fodder for the intellectuals on this list. So what! Let them
babble. A reaction proves that a chord was struck. An overreaction usually
implies that the reactionary simply looked within and didn't like what they
saw. I AM GUILTY OF THIS. It's human behavior. It cannot be changed. You
are NEVER going to get a bunch of people to share ideas without opinions,
passions, and personalities being interjected. This very paragraph will
cause someone to react. But by not again responding, the cycle will be
shortened.

If you pick-up a baby every time it cries, he/she will always cry to be
picked up. If you don't pick it up, he/she will soon learn that crying does
no good. It gets no response and will cry much less often. Don't respond to
babble on the list. That's the easiest (maybe the only) way to slow down
its production. Just say no. Just push delete!

I still read the technical stuff that interests me. And I try my best to
answer questions about things that I have some knowledge, or know where to
look-it-up. There is a lot of good stuff in amongst the rubbish but I make
good use of the delete key & Eudora filters.

I'll not willingly offend,
Nor be easily offended;
What's amiss I'll strive to mend,
And endure what can't be mended.
Many a pompous ass has tried before,
They press on through thick and thin,
But always proved to be a bore,
Forgetting that we've all slept since then!

Jim