Subject: Re: Leica as weapon
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 17:05:42 +0000

Chuck Warman wrote in response to TAFKAB (sadly departed this list)

>Here's what's wrong with that: the guy will destroy the list before he's
>done.
>
>The pattern is like this:  his posts start out a little rough, but they're
>basically OK.  Then they grow more supercilious, more sneeringly
>condescending, more abrasively anti-American, until a Roger or a Marc (or a
>Chuck) blows a gasket, and the list erupts in a flamewar. Oddmund then
>"leaves town" for a week or two, "comes back," posts non-controversially
>for a few days, and then starts the process all over again.  If you've
>saved the posts, go back and look.
>
>Like you, I don't mind being trashed. I'm on several political lists, and
>I'm used to it.  But *this* list can't stand these constant guerilla
>attacks. He'll take it down, Ben, laughing the whole time.  THAT'S "what's
>so god damned wrong with that."

I think Chuck's analysis is pretty accurate, judging by what I've followed
of the thread. Anything 'Odd' I bin unread.

Could I comment (as I have before):

1) People who set out to stir things up need an audience. If you ignore
them, there's no fun in it, so they get bored and go away. Either use your
delete button to chuck (sorry!) the post away unread, or discipline
yourself to read but not react.

2) I agree with Chuck also that this list is starting to head down the
tubes again, which would be a great pity. From what I see less than 50% of
the posts are now serious discussions of matters Leica. By all means inject
some humour, but, folks, the art is to do it while keeping on topic.

3) It's great to glean a bit more about the personalities behind the posts,
but that doesn't mean that this list should be a forum for subjective
opinions on matters other than Leica - on that topic, the more personal
opinions, the merrier.

If you feel particularly strongly about a particular post, why not email
the guy direct? It keeps the clutter off the LUG, and makes it a more
civilised place to be.

Just my two punts worth......

Slan

Alex