Subject: Ikophot
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 11:31:27 -0500 (EST)

<<Subject: Zeiss Ikophot meter

A friend gave me a Zeiss Ikophot meter.  It is a beautiful Art Deco-ish

design in a brown case which may be leather covered and has an attached

brass chain which ends in an embossed clip which looks like it should slip

over a button.  The case is marked "Stuttgart Germany."  A very nice

feature is that it has two shutter speed/ f stop scales: one marked with

the older speeds (which correspond to my early M3) of 25-50-100-250 and the

other the more modern convention of 30-60-125...  It appears to have an

adjustment screw on the back.

Does anyone have any idea when these were produced?  Given that it has both

DIN and ASA scales, I assume it dates after the early 1960s, but I am not

sure.  It   is in nice condition and is worth having for its design.  It

will be even better if it is reasonably accurate and I can use it.  it is a

nice size and should slip in a pocket easily.  I will check it against my

digital meter when I get the chance.  Does anyone know anything about these

meters? --Steve>>

Steve,

I own a splendid Ikophot, white model in a brown case, including gold chain,
with incident light insert, and with every readout still around. I wouldn't
sell it for no $10. I wouldn't sell it for $100. I use it with my Nikon F for
B&W work. I believe it dates to the late 50's or early 60's. My brother
bought it in Germany for use with his Rollei. It has Zeiss Ikon embossed on
the outside and inside cover of the case in gold. It is very sensitive and so
accurate that I check my in-camera meters against it. I replaced the gold
chain with a sturdy neck cord. It has an adjustment screw in back which I
never had to use. It's light and very handy. I think the case is made of real
leather. Need I say more?

Bob R