Subject: Re: You guys need to switch to decaf!!
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 10:53:12 -0800

Ben Holmes wrote:

> I've spent this, my second weekend, completely media-blacked-out. I've shot
> some film with Bill Welch's Summilux (thank you Bill), painted the interior
> of my darkroom black,

Ben, are you nuts?  A black darkroom?  I had to work in one once on a
small newspaper and it was awful.  It was almost impossible to find
anything, no matter how bright the overhead light.  I got to hate going
in there.  The start of my love of slide film and E-6 labs.  In my last
studio we had a very tiny film loading room  next to the darkroom and
painted it dark grey, but even that I think was overkill.

If you have a light tight room, you shouldn't need it black.  And what
might reflect off walls and back onto a print would be way below the
D-max, I think.   If it isn't, it should improve your shadow detail!!

I'd wager by this time next year you have a white darkroom again.

Donal Philby
San Diego