Subject: Re: Leica list, not gun list
From: Rosesanan Soon Lai Yoke <adisoon@pl.jaring.my>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 01:00:02 +0800

At last, another brilliant piece!!

What is the reason for guns to exist?? They are dangerous, cause harm and
plain stupid. A gunshot heard in my country, or a person being killed by a
gunshot, is a rare occurrence. That means that people here are safer.
Criminals are noticably unable to commit serious crimes. Guns are crap. They
do not belong in the hands of "responsible" citizens because things can go
wrong. Their existence virtually guarantees some kind of mishap. Perhaps
that is the reason for the crime ridden cities of America. Think about it
all you Leicaphiles, criminals can steal your equipment more easily.

- --Adi

oh please... isn't this about making wonderful photographs with well
designed/manufactured equipment?  Are we going to start telling each
other which wrist watch tells 'better' time.  Camera as tool helps make
photographs - my passion.  Gun as tool makes what?  Holes in targets?

Back in the late 70's there was a performance artist in New York that
used guns to have himself 'shot'.  When a bullet finally hit him during
a show gone wrong - he it gave up - it hurt.  What's the point here?
I'm not sure.  We can avoid the messages referring to guns easily
enough.  I'm grateful to those of you that gave me advice on grease for
my lens - I just don't know or care about guns.  Maybe its because I've
always lived in cities where elements of life I try to avoid (crime and
punishmenht) are the ones with guns.

I must say though, that last month's ID (International Design) Magazine
article on gun design was 'cool'.  Made me wonder if James Bond would
have been a hit if carried an M-3 instead of a (brand name here) gun.

Apologies for the ramble - last night's fine wine...(another quality
issue).