Subject: Re: Changing the size of the white measuring circle possible?
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 17:57:54 -0500 (EST)

It's sad that we have to talk about hand-held spot meters with the M, a
quick-shooting camera if there ever was one.  My Pentax digital is a nice
meter which I bought to use with my medium format cameras on the tripod, but
it's nearly as big as my M6.  The M6's meter is very accurate, but it's hard
to know just how much it's measuring, and, despite Leica's ads, it's not at
all selective.  I sound like a broken record, but there's no good reason
Leica couldn't have given us spot and averaging metering in the M6 years ago
(like the R cameras, which have a very good metering system).  Then we could
shoot quickly with transparency film and get accurate exposures (as you can
with recent automatic R's with spot meters and exposure lock by metering a
midtone highlight, holding the shutter button partway down, and recomposing).

At 08:24 PM 3/5/97, you wrote:
>In <199703052237.XAA17080@jet.es>, on 03/05/97 at 11:33 PM,
>   "Nicolas Levinton" <nicolev@jet.es> said:
>
>>Has anybody thought of or tried any means of reducing the white circle by
>>for example puting some sort of black sticker with a doughnut shape
>>therefore leaving a smaller white surface?( Maybe this is crazy because
>>it could jam the curtain). Or maybe painting it? (but hen again it would
>>be irreversible)
>
>>	Nicolas Levinton. Madrid. SPAIN
>>	nicolev@jet.es
>
>You would probably have to recalbrate the meter and you might loose some
>sensitivity.
>
>How about a hand held spot meter?   Anyone using one?
>
>Best regards, Dennis
>
>Experience is a tough teacher. It gives the test before the lesson.
>-unknown

Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU