Subject: Re: Some thoughts on M3 and lenses
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 00:23:24 -0500 (EST)

At 02:59 PM 3/2/97 -0800, you wrote:
>A couple of comments regarding M3s and M-lenses:
>
>I have never seen the use of a wider-aperture lens provide a sharper or better-
>corrected image when stopped down than another lens of the same focal length
>used
>at its full (but smaller) aperture. Thus, it seems that the only reasons to use
>say a 90mm f:2 rather than the 90mm f:2.8 or f:4 are: you need the light
for the
>purpose such as using a finer-grain film, or you want to isolate a smaller
>depth-
>of-focus.  Thus, both the 90mm f:2 Summicron and the 90mm f:2.8
Tele-Elmarit are
>sharp at f:2.8; the lesser mass of the later may be a controlling influence
>when back-packing, etc.

Well, conventional wisdom has it that lenses are better a few, or even one,
stop in from wide open--in other words, that the Summicron would be better
at f2.8 than the Elmarit, everything else being equal (which it probably
never is!).--Charlie
Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU