Subject: Re: Did my text attachment hurt anybody?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 1997 11:59:04 -0500

At 07:34 AM 3/1/97 +0100, Nicolas Levinton wrote:
>I received this private e-mail of somebody I am not going to mention
his/her name:

I'm the one who wrote Mr Levinton:  I have nothing to hide, and would not
mind a bit if anyone quotes me at any point.

I simply, and strongly, feel that we should not send attachments on the LUG.
Period.  Binaries or text files, they should not be here.  If you wish,
include them in the message body.  If you wish, post them to a Web Site.  If
you wish, advise folks of their availability and send them by private E-mail.

But a document such as this -- one, if fact, which a LOT of us already have
on our bookshelves -- shouldn't be posted as an attachment.  Attachments
take a long, long time to download and waste a lot of bandwidth in an
already cluttered Internet.

Every other list I subscribe to has such a policy and for sound reasons.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!