Subject: Re: Ektachrome 200 Elite
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 16:21:47 -0500

At 11:04 AM 28-02-97 -0800, Godfrey wrote:
>I don't normally use transparency film these days but last weekend a
>friend and I were looking to evaluate some Ektachrome for a project he's
>doing. I loaded up with some E100SW, 200 Elite, and my usual Tri-X.
>Shot each roll, one after another, in the same area of the same subjects.
>
>The Tri-X is razor sharp, the E100SW is pretty good, the 200 Elite was
>awful. I'd never seen such a huge difference in film resolution. Also,
>the contrast of the 200 Elite makes it nearly unusable for scenics.
>
>Has anyone else had similar experience to this? And can anyone suggest a
>200 speed transparency film that will have decent resolution? We'll probably
>stick with the E100SW over faster films, but it's nice to have the option.

I noticed this about Fuji Provia 400.  I used it in 120 sized format,
thinking that the larger film size would compensate for the somewhat larger
grain.  I was wrong.  I found that 8x10 enlargements were noticeably grainy.
I use 400 speed colour negative films all the time without problems.
Basically, if you want super fine grain, stay away from chrome films.

Dan C.j