Subject: Re: Making pictures with the M Leica
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:25:17 -0500 (EST)

At 01:51 PM 2/25/97 +0100, you wrote:
>>   Date: 	Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:33:52 -0500
>>   From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
>>   Sender: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Just to get the attributions right:

Then Christof wrote:
>Dan,
>
>if you are not satisfied, you have to adjust (of course).
>The way I understand it is, that you have the possibility to see immediately,
>when it is in focus. So more precisely it might say: start focusing quick and
>slow down the focusing speed until you made it.
>
>With an SLR you might not be able to determine the first time that you are in
>focus.

Now, my turn again!  As Ben suggests, my original point doesn't have
anything to do with whether a RF or SLR is easier to focus.  It's rather
that if you focus a RF by racking it back and forth to get the focus right,
you introduce errors due to the nature of the mecanical connections
necessary for a rangefinder to work.  So: your habit should be to start from
one end of the lens's travel, go toward correct focus (slowing down if you
need to), and stop when you get there.  If you mess it up, I'd say start
over--that's what I do.  It really is a matter of habit, and starting over
doesn't take that long!--Charlie
Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU