Subject: Re: Ugly R8
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:45:17 -0500 (EST)

At 02:30 AM 2/25/97 +0800, you wrote:
>Now that you have mentioned it, it is true, why can't the thing motor-wind
>in such a huge body??
>
>At 02:27 PM 23-02-97 -0500, you wrote:
>>As I see it, the R8 is actually quite an attractively designed camera.
>>While it is somewhat on the chunky side, that doesn't really bother me
>>because it handles well.  My main objection is that within that bulk
>>there isn't a winder, let alone a faster motor drive.
>>
>>The Contax RTSIII, for example, has a 5fps motor within a quite
>>similarly sized camera.  Many much smaller camera bodies incorporate
>>winders so it is quite a puzzle.

This is complicated.  The Contax RTSIII is much heavier than any R camera;
even heavier than a Nikon F4 with big battery pack.  I have never seriously
considered the RTSIII because I don't want to carry all that weight to get 5
FPS that I'll never use.

I think Canon has it right with the EOS-1.  The camera by itself is of a
reasonable weight and has a built-in winder.  If you want a fast drive,
there's an add-on accessory.  So you don't have to carry all those batteries
and mechanics unless you need them.

What I can't figure about the R8 is why autobracketing is restricted to the
drive, rather than being provided for both the drive and winder.

Charlie

Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU