Subject: Eyes and focusing system characteristics (was: making pictures ...)
From: KEVIN BURKE <KBURKE@iterated.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 97 11:45:00 EST

>>   You should only focus in one direction with any camera especially an
SLR.
>>     You begin with the image completely out of focus,then turn the lens
in
>>   one direction until it is sharp and then stop immediately.  The reason
>>   that this is important is that the eye will try to make a slightly out
of
>>   focus image appear in focus if it is exposed to it long enough, this
>>  process is called accomodation.
>>
>>   SO this is good advice but it shoud be applied with all focusable
>>   cameras.
>>
>>   HTH
>>   John

>The human eye can accomodate to different distances. With an SLR the
distance
>is constant, i.e. it is the (virtual) distance to the ground glass. You see
in
>the same distance that it sharp or not.
>
>christoph

This is the understanding of accomodation I got from studying
the books in years past.  Simply put, it is the eye's ability to focus
on subjects at various distances.  The effects of accomodation
are more apparent when focusing an imaging system like a
telescope, microscope or systems making use of an aerial
image (clear glass focus screen, some types of enlarger grain
magnifiers, etc.).  With these systems, the eye may focus on a
plane of focus of the system in space, even when its in a slightly
different place than desired.

For ground glass (non-transparent) type screens, the eye's
focus is on the image formed on the screen as stated by
christoph above.  It can't focus on image planes to the far side
of the screen since the screen blocks the view.  Nor do rays
from the imaging system travel through the screen allowing the
eye to focus sharply on other planes on the near side.

For split-image wedge prisms, micro-prisms and rangefinders,
the eye looks through clear, refracting componenets and must
focus on the subject as presented through the viewing system.
The degree of focus accuracy does not depend to any great
extent on where the eye thinks it's focused like it would be in some
grain magnifiers.  If the eye has trouble focusing to the distances
presented by the viewing system then diopter correction is usually
recommended. This affects accuracy in that we may see available
detail in the subject nearer to the limits of normal vision.

In summary, I don't think the rocking versus single-movement
method is driven by accomodation either.  My admittedly
incomplete study of rangefinder mechanisms suggests that
there is nothing supporting one method or the other as being
superior unless some gross wear, dirt or damage is present.
I think that whatever works best for a particular person is the
correct answer.  It doesn't seem a requirement to abandon one
method unless one prefers the results of another.

Regards, Kevin
kburke@iterated.com