Subject: re: making pictures with the M leica
From: John Irvin Buford <jbuf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 15:22:12 -0800

>>I like the idea of tricks/methods of using the M Leica. >I
>>always set my lens to infinity after taking a shot as then I know >that
>>I only have to turn the lens in one direction in order to focus.

>This has another advantage too.  When focusing a rangefinder camera, you
>should start either at infinity or the closest setting, and move the
>ring in one motion until the two images coincide--do not rack it back and forth, as you might with an SLR, to improve the focus.

You should only focus in one direction with any camera especially an SLR.
  You begin with the image completely out of focus,then turn the lens in
one direction until it is sharp and then stop immediately.  The reason
that this is important is that the eye will try to make a slightly out of
focus image appear in focus if it is exposed to it long enough, this
process is called accomodation.

SO this is good advice but it shoud be applied with all focusable
cameras.

HTH
John