Subject: Re: He who serves
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 21:42:34 -0500

At 10:41 AM 25-02-97 +1100, Alastair wrote:
[snip]
>Oh by the way, I choose 40 as a 'generation'. There would be few of us or
>anyone still exclusively using anything since 1957. I guess to own a Leica
>before the age of 25 would be unusual and not to be thinking of a
>retirement present by the age of 65 likewise. Have you really been using
>any of this equipment for > 40 years?

I don't think that 40 years is out of the question.  If my old Minolta
SRT-101(bought second hand in 1969)  wasn't stolen a few years ago I'm sure
that I would still be using it.  It would have been almost 30 years old and
I don't see why it wouldn't still be working 13 years from now.  I did have
the light meter repaired about a year before it was stolen, and it was
working perfectly.  My current M6 appears much more solid, construction
wise, so  with a little care and the occasional CLA it should last long
after I'm gone.

Now that I think of it, I currently own my late father's Voigtlander VITO
automatic which he received as a gift aroung 1960.  To look at the camera,
you would think that it was brand new.  It works perfectly.  It was a
typical point and shoot of its day, but they sure don't make cameras like
that anymore (in ANY price range).

Dan C.