Subject: He who serves
From: firkin@netconnect.com.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 10:41:20 +1100

>No, forty years is way too short for my tastes!

Well Marc,

he who serves may serve in many ways, to be servicable for 40+ years may
mean to be in continuous use or to be continuously usable, or to be made
continuously usable. I see no sin in planning to make an item "adjustable"
and I'm sure that if we all assumed that to repair was a sin many of the
IIIc's, Super Ikonta's and pre-war Contaxes would have been put out to
pasture. Perhaps you have just been lucky, do none of you cameras need
repair? ;-)

Oh by the way, I choose 40 as a 'generation'. There would be few of us or
anyone still exclusively using anything since 1957. I guess to own a Leica
before the age of 25 would be unusual and not to be thinking of a
retirement present by the age of 65 likewise. Have you really been using
any of this equipment for > 40 years?

Cheers,

Alastair Firkin
NOTE new URL